Such exciting times with the new Perth Children’s Hospital finally opening next month, almost three years later than originally planned.
The $1.2 billion facility, which will replace the ageing Princess Margaret Hospital, was originally scheduled to open in August 2015, will open outpatient clinics on May 14, with first elective surgery to follow a fortnight later. A final stage will see “all remaining” patients at Princess Margaret Hospital transferred to PCH on June 10, when emergency department functions will move to the new hospital.
The announcement comes after the State Government said last week that the potable water inside the hospital was safe to drink despite long-running concerns about elevated lead levels. “We’re very excited that we’ve finally got it underway,” WA Premier Mark McGowan said. “This has been the culmination of a huge amount of effort and work.”
There were 236 variations to the scope of the project and major construction problems included asbestos in ceiling panels, non-compliant fire doors and lead in the drinking water.